Invitation to consult with the Law Commission on relationship property Issues Paper
On Thursday 16 November 2017, Law Commissioner Helen McQueen and other members of the Law Commission team reviewing the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 (PRA) will be visiting ADLS to discuss the Commission’s Issues Paper, “Dividing Relationship Property: Time for Change – Te mātaatoha rawa tokorau – Kua eke te wā?”
Members of the team will be available to answer questions and hear your feedback. The Law Commission is open to discussing any matters raised, but considers that practitioners might have particular views on the issues and options identified below:
1. Does the PRA cover the right sort of property?
2. How should relationship property be defined?
3. How should the PRA treat property held on trust?
4. Section 15 – has it been effective to address economic disparity?
5. Is Part 8 working for relationships ending on death?
The Issues Paper, a summary document and the online consultation platform can all be accessed from 16 October 2017 at http://www.prareview.lawcom.govt.nz/.
The consultation between the Law Commission and the profession will be held on Thursday 16 November 2017 from 4-6pm, at ADLS’ Chancery Chambers premises in Auckland. If you would like to attend, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.