The ADLS Family Law Committee is actively involved in preserving the public’s access to justice throughout the on-going raft of reforms to the Family Court. The Committee makes submissions on draft legislation and actively engages with the Ministry of Justice on legal aid and other issues affecting both practitioners and the public e.g. the protection of children. It monitors the development in case law, including relationship property matters, and regularly communicates with the profession through surveys and articles.
The committee's role is:
1. To represent Auckland Practitioners as an information gathering focus group of people who can identify and formulate problems, find strategies and implement resolutions for the issues unique to Auckland family law practitioners. Such issues are generally as follows:
- Court Liaison Committees
2. To effectively disseminate information on those issues to Auckland practitioners.
3. To formalise the gathering and circulation of the information, make submissions and lobby:
- Auckland practitioners
- ADLS Law Committees
- NZLS Family Law Section
- Government Select Committees
- Ministry of Justice
4. To interface with the Family law Section on the issues affecting both local and national interests of family lawyers.
5. To maintain a representative function that determines legal education topics, and reports to the Continuing Professional Department of ADLS.
6 To have a networking function for Auckland practitioners with lunchtime forums, articles and media contacts
20 Feb 2013
Family Court Proceedings Reform Bill
Submission to the Justice and Electoral Committee on the Family Court Proceedings Reform Bill
16 Mar 2012
Fixed Fee Framework for Family Legal Aid
Submission to the Ministry of Justice on the paper: New Fixed Fees Framework for Family Legal Aid Providers
29 Feb 2012
Family Court Review
Submission to the Ministry of Justice on the paper: Reviewing the Family Court: A public consultation paper
23 May 2011
Proposed New Operating Model for District Courts in the Greater Auckland Area
Submission to the Ministry of Justice on the discussion document: Proposed New Operating Model for District Courts in Auckland
20 Oct 2010
Legal Aid Quality Framework - Proposed Entry Criteria and Practice Standards
Submission the Ministry of Justice on the consultation document: Legal Aid Quality Framework - Proposed Entry Criteria and Practice Standards
03 Dec 2013
Analysis of Results of Family Fixed Fee Survey
Analysis of Results of Family Fixed Fee Survey prepared by the Equal Justice Project