Class actions are becoming an increasingly common feature of the New Zealand legal landscape. Although there has not been legislative reform in this area, the courts have facilitated the development of class actions, on the basis that they are a way in which claimants can obtain access to justice.
A number of litigation funders are now funding claims in New Zealand, which is further fuelling the rise in class actions. This seminar will deliver key information, insights, and practical tips from those experienced in commencing, funding, and defending class actions.
- Understand the implications of the Court of Appeal’s recent decision in Ross v Southern Response and how the decision changes the class action landscape in New Zealand.
- Understand the implications for New Zealand of the Australian High Court’s decision in BMW Australia Ltd v Brewster rejecting the availability of common fund orders in Australia.
- Learn the ins and outs of litigation funding, and the extent to which it can improve access to justice for plaintiffs with meritorious claims.
- Gain valuable insights into practical considerations, including how best to:
- advise clients about joining or defending a class action;
- secure funding for litigation fees and expert costs for your clients; and
- avoid or deal with potential conflicts that may arise in class action and funding arrangements.
Who should attend?
Litigators of all levels, as well as any lawyers advising clients about entering into a class action and/or a litigation funding arrangement. Accountants, insolvency practitioners, and Chief Financial Officers may also benefit from attending.
in person registration only
Please note this page is only for registration to attend in person.
To register to attend via live stream click here.
Shine Lawyers NZ
LPF Group Ltd
LPF Group is the largest New Zealand owned litigation funder. Jonathan has extensive background in the corporate and legal sectors and spent a number of years practising commercial and insolvency law in New Zealand and London.
LPF Group has funded 24 cases including the RAM Investor class action against ANZ Bank, Mainzeal and the Kiwifruit class action taken by kiwifruit growers against the Crown. Of the 17 completed cases, LPF Group has successfully obtained a return in all cases for people who have suffered losses.
These deserving investors, shareholders and creditors would not have received any compensation for their losses without litigation funding to support their claim.
Hon Rodney Hansen CNZM QC