Synopsis - more details to follow
Covering crucial core content and the latest procedural and case law developments, this seminar will provide a roadmap for bringing and arguing appeals for those who practise Criminal law.
In respect of Criminal appeals:
- Receive a refresher and updater on jurisdiction, grounds, types and outcomes.
- Develop a better understanding of key topics such as bail pending appeal, and Sena in respect of Judge-alone trials.
- In respect of miscarriage of justice – a central factor in most criminal appeals –benefit from in-depth historical perspectives and knowledge, and become updated on the latest Court of Appeal authority on the meaning of miscarriage of justice under the Criminal Procedure Act, Wiley v R. You will likely learn about the Supreme Court's opinion of Wiley and s 232 of the Criminal Procedure Act from a judgment that is presently reserved. Learn how that test may be met by reference to commonly argued points on appeal.
- Gain valuable pointers about practicalities, such as assembly of materials including hyperlinking and page limits.
- Garner judicial insights into the content and presentation of submissions, hearing dos and don’ts, and common areas for improvement.
Who should attend?
All those practising in Criminal law.
live stream registration only
Please note this page is only for registration to attend via live stream.
To register to attend in person click here.
The Honourable Justice Downs
Anne Stevens QC
Marie Dyhrberg QC