This seminar will examine the twists and turns a case can take in its final stages when a case is disposed of.
It will provide guidance on how to prepare your client for what will – or could still be – in store and will help attendees manage the important issues which can arise in an efficient, practical way in accordance with the High Court or District Court Rules.
You will learn about:
- The different forms of judgment and the steps which may be taken in respect of a judgment – including sealing, notification, recall, setting aside, variation, satisfaction, and enforcement.
- Managing your client’s expectations before and after the receipt of a judgment.
- The implications of partial success.
- The effect of non-compliance with orders in a judgment.
- Claims for interest and the basis for them.
- Costs issues including the kinds of costs awards which may be available under the rules – applying for increases from scale, costs against counsel and costs on specific issues.
Who should attend?
All lawyers who act in civil and commercial litigation.
In person registration only
Please note this page is only for registration to attend in person.
To register to attend via live stream click here.
Martin Smith is a partner at the specialist dispute resolution practice, Gilbert/Walker.
He has extensive experience in High Court and appellate litigation, in particular in commercial and insurance disputes.
Linda is a civil and commercial litigation solicitor with experience in insolvency and liquidations, contract disputes, trust disputes, commercial torts, Fair Trading Act and insurance.
She started her career as a junior barrister working on a wide range of matters as junior counsel before the High Court, Court of Appeal and in the Supreme Court.
Prior to joining the insolvency team at Meredith Connell she provided indemnity and liability advice and acted in litigation for insurers in relation to complex material damage and business interruption claims and subrogated recovery.