Statutory interpretation is central to the practice of law. This On Demand webinar aims to refresh lawyers' knowledge of statutory interpretation and to provide a principled approach to it, illustrated and supported by examples of classic and new case law.
- Refresh your knowledge of the fundamental principles of statutory interpretation.
- Become familiar with a range of case law to help you interpret statutes.
- Gain insights into how the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990 affects statutory meanings.
- Learn how to use the various interpretative tools to best effect.
- Become acquainted with a checklist to help you reach a sound and principled interpretation.
Who should view?
Any lawyer wanting a refresher on the art of statutory interpretation.
Parliamentary Counsel Office
Ross has been a law drafter at the Parliamentary Counsel Office since 1998. He has written numerous articles and conference papers on statutory interpretation and legislative drafting. He is a member of, and the Secretary of, the Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsel (CALC), and has co-authored the 5th edition of Burrows and Carter – Statute Law in New Zealand (2015), and also Subordinate Legislation in New Zealand (2013).