Representative actions are increasing in New Zealand. With potentially large numbers of plaintiffs, the complexities of procedure, case management, funding and insurance must be carefully managed. This seminar will dispel misinformation and provide key information on the representative action legal landscape, explain how you can secure funding and insurance for these actions, and include practical tips from those involved in running and defending such claims.
- Gain insight into the utility and risks of representative actions.
- Understand the current legal issues relating to representative actions and litigation funding in New Zealand.
- Learn, from experienced personnel, how to effectively build, manage and defend a representative action.
- Become better positioned to secure funding for your clients for payment of your fees, by understanding the legal position.
Who should attend?
All lawyers who deal with large-scale disputes. Accountants, insolvency practitioners and Chief Financial Officers may also benefit from attending.
To participate via live stream there are two key requirements:
- a device of sufficient specification (desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone - further info below)
- an uncontended broadband internet connection capable of at least 5Mbps download (fixed line broadband (ADSL/VDSL), fibre (Ultra Fast Broadband etc), or 3G/4G mobile broadband)
For assistance email email@example.com or call 09 306 5747.
Detailed device and platform specifications:
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows® XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Windows 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows XP
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9
- Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 11.2+
- Apple supported devices: iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad with Retina display, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPod touch (4th & 5th generations)
- Apple supported OS versions summary: iOS 6 and higher
- Android supported devices: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX, Motorola Atrix, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S3 & S4, Nexus 7 tablet (numerous others - minimm 1GHz dual core CPU recommended)
- Android supported OS versions summary: 2.3.4 and higher
Live stream registration only
Please note this page only applies to participation via live stream.
To register to attend in person click here.
Minter Ellison Rudd Watts
Minter Ellison Rudd Watts
Adina Thorn Lawyers
Adina Thorn has considerable expertise in commercial litigation, property litigation and dispute resolution. Adina holds degrees in both Property and Law (Honours) from the University of Auckland and has appeared before all of the Courts of New Zealand. Adina is currently leading a NZ$100 million+ proposed class action involving plaster-clad buildings.
The Honourable Justice Asher