ADLS Young Lawyers
ADLS is committed to supporting Young Lawyers throughout the early stages of their careers by offering professional development and collegial opportunities on a range of programmes and initiatives. Listed below is a range of opportunities in which Young Lawyers can become involved through their membership with ADLS.
Young Lawyer Events
Throughout the year, ADLS provides a dynamic calendar of events for Young Lawyer members of ADLS to assist them in developing strong networks with colleagues within the profession.
ADLS’s events include opportunities to meet the Judiciary, Lawyers Lunches, exclusive fashion events, sporting activities, cocktail evenings and much more. View our upcoming events calendar here.
Building connections between the profession, academia and law students is an important focus for ADLS. ADLS runs two programmes designed to assist Young Lawyers and law students with their entry into the profession; a Young Lawyer & Students Buddy Programme and a Work Experience Opportunities programme.
Young Lawyer & Students Buddy Programme
Young Lawyers are invited to be part of the Young Lawyers & Students Buddy Programme and to consider becoming a mentor to a law student in their final year of study. A simple catch up over coffee can provide great support to students as they face important choices that may influence the rest of their legal career. Mentoring evenings will be held in Auckland, Waikato and Christchurch. If you are interested in becoming a Young Lawyer mentor, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your location, and ADLS will confirm details on the next mentoring evening in your area. If you are not located in one of the above regions, we will look to match you with a student close to you.
Work Experience Opportunities for Law Students
ADLS runs a Work Experience Opportunities programme for 4th and 5th year law students with a number of New Zealand University Law Students’ Societies. ADLS is working with Law Students’ Societies in Auckland, Waikato, Wellington and Canterbury, with the aim of connecting students at each university to firms within their regions who are able to offer such opportunities.
Firms are able to post, free of charge, either part-time paid or volunteer work experience opportunities on the ADLS website throughout the year. A guideline on what ADLS considers best practice for work experience positions can be viewed here. If you think your law firm may be interested in posting a work experience opportunity, please raise this with a partner or senior lawyer within your firm - we would appreciate your help in connecting more students with firms. Please either contact us for more information or alternatively, fill in the form here.
ADLS operates 16 legal committees comprised of a broad cross section of ADLS members from the legal profession. Committees comment on policy reforms, make submissions to Parliament and educate and inform ADLS members by providing expert advice and assistance. If you are interested in volunteering on one of our committees and making a valuable contribution to their work, click here to find out more.
ADLS provides a comprehensive and practical CPD calendar covering a wide variety of relevant legal topics. Presented by experts in their field the focus is on delivering excellent learning opportunities for lawyers. ADLS also offers a large catalogue of On-Demand videos which offers lawyers the chance to earn their required CPD hours anytime, anywhere. Significant discounts are available to members on all ADLS CPD events.
To get started, please click here to view ADLS’s CPD calendar.
Connect with us
Membership with ADLS
Join us as an ADLS member to access a wide range of benefits and services with special member-only pricing, including invites to our exclusive Young Lawyer events.
Membership of ADLS provides you with access to a range of benefits including:
• A complimentary subscription to ADLS’s weekly legal publication, LawNews, as well as the ADLS Monday e-bulletin.
• A priority listing on the online Find a Lawyer facility located at www.adls.org.nz. Find a lawyer receives over 100,000 page views each year from the legal profession and the general public. Your listing includes your area/s of practice.
• Special member-only pricing on a wide-range of ADLS legal products and services including ticketed collegiality events and networking opportunities, CPD conferences, seminars, webinars and seminar papers, and legal texts available for purchase from the online ADLS bookstore.
• Access to special offers on a range of products and services provided by carefully selected suppliers who participate in the ADLS member benefits programme, ranging from insurance through to car rental hire.
• The opportunity to earn Airpoints Dollars on eligible ADLS purchases, once your Air New Zealand Airpoints membership details have been registered with ADLS. Click here to register your Airpoints details with ADLS.
ADLS Young Lawyer Facebook page
Click here to like the ADLS Young Lawyer Facebook page. We post regular updates on a range of relevant topics designed to assist Young Lawyers in their career, to help them to stay informed and connected.